Introduction

At our 25th year celebration several people (maybe just a few) wanted to know what I was doing, reading, thinking and events were too rushed to connect.  In a later conversation with a former student who has spent years bullying me into the present, he suggested a blog which I immediately dismissed.  We were driving home from lunch and by the time we arrived I was convinced and he was thinking up a name.  He now has me up and fumbling along in publishing, with his large step by step pictorial directions.

After a lifetime of sharing ideas, stirring up discussion and urging students reconsider the limits of what they know, the passage of my last class left me wondering what was useful for me to do.  I hope this blog may help me continue the conversation with former students and the occasional non alumnus  who stumbles on to this blog. Perhaps it will provide a venue for retaining the sense of collegiality we shared while we were together in the program

It will not be all serious and it will go where we take it.  I am looking forward to ambling along.
  1. #1 by Scott Hofacker on October 10, 2013 - 7:45 pm

Welcome to the present. We are all better for your having arrived. (smile)

• #2 by John Boswell on October 11, 2013 - 2:45 pm

Scot, thank you. I hope this effort engages our group in sharing ideas.
      JGB

2. #3 by Merrill Ashcraft on October 10, 2013 - 7:53 pm

I always found your readings very interesting.
    What are you reading now

• #4 by John Boswell on October 11, 2013 - 2:44 pm

Merrill, I must admit that I am reading Westlake mystery/adventure/humor stories. I will, however, dig up a couple of more impressive volumes and sen them along.

3. #5 by Karen Nestor on October 10, 2013 - 7:55 pm

Well, this certainly made my day. This is a valuable way to encourage the emergence of an informal community of scholars. I look forward to engaging with Dr. Boswell and other colleagues and to see where this effort takes us.

• #6 by John Boswell on October 11, 2013 - 2:41 pm

Karen, I hope this will evolve into a conversation, but I must admit that I am new to this medium and I will need jogging along from time to time.
      JGB

4. #7 by Elke Ender on October 10, 2013 - 8:31 pm

I am thrilled you’ve started a blog, Dr. Boswell! Many times I have thought of John Dewey+Democracy (ELP 8) when I worked in East Timor and now in Austria and I recall fondly our discussions. I look forward to your next post, Dr. Boswell!

5. #8 by John Boswell on October 10, 2013 - 9:05 pm

This is a joke, right? You just changed the name of present day politicians.

6. #9 by paul on October 10, 2013 - 9:55 pm

Dr. Boswell. Glad to see you still active this way. as one of those who commented on your activity, I would love to see your reading list over the last 25 yrs of ELP

• #10 by John Boswell on October 11, 2013 - 2:29 pm

Paul, I will comment on books from time to time, but I will make an effort to get a longer list that I found useful out to you. I think I read almost all of the explanations of how we got in the mess we are in and used some of them in class, but I would recommend only one or two now because we are all figuring out on our own what happened. It will be a while, but I will get you a “short” list. I would have to say that since I taught my last class I have been reading a lot of not very worth while fiction and enjoying it. I’ll have to get back to some of the important stuff.
      JGB

7. #11 by Ralph Soule on October 11, 2013 - 1:36 am

I am glad you are doing this, Dr. Boswell. I look forward to future posts.

• #12 by John Boswell on October 11, 2013 - 2:47 pm

Thank you. I can depend on you to weigh into a discussion when you have a contribution.
      JGB

8. #13 by Bob Brescia on October 11, 2013 - 11:37 am

Great start, John, and we look forward to you placing today’s current events in historical context!

Thanks!

Bob

• #14 by John Boswell on October 11, 2013 - 2:36 pm

Bob, thanks. I will depend on you and your colleagues to keep me on track. As for me, I will try to stick with what I know, which after long experience is never enough.
      John

9. #15 by Terry Jackson on October 11, 2013 - 2:51 pm

You’ve mentioned that you have “taught your last class” a few times now…I hope that does NOT mean you are not returning this semester? We, in Cohort 25 (and yes, I DO attempt to speak for the group), are enjoying having you in our course. Please say we’ll see you throughout the rest of the semester?! Thank you – Terry

• #16 by John Boswell on October 11, 2013 - 8:52 pm

Dear Terry, I am heartened to know that I have made a positive impression on you and your cohort. Prof. Castleberry and I have taught this course together several times in past years and I thought he would be the best person to take over. For this year, as I think I explained, he had other commitments in the early summer. Thus, I did two of the first sessions, and I thoroughly enjoyed working with your group. For me, the best part of being a professor has been the interaction with students and I certainly enjoyed your group.
      However, the Fall schedule is for me screwed up-late afternoon and evening, two and three hour sessions-and I have gotten beyond driving in rush hour and the dark.
      So yes, this does mean you have seen the last of me. I’ve been at it since 1958 and it’s time to hang it up. We can, however, maintain some contact through this medium.
      I wish you and your fellow cohort members a successful 2 years.
      John Boswell

10. #17 by Bev George (ELP 9/10) on October 14, 2013 - 3:07 am

Hi Dr. Boswell:
    It was fun to see your blog and to have an opportunity to hear your thoughts and comments. Dewey’s work opened a new world of understanding still used today. The WWII movies have stayed with me. We hope our world does not lose value of each individual life in our eager rush to put their own ideas ahead. By the way you are an inspiration still!. The best to you. Bev George

• #18 by John Boswell on October 14, 2013 - 3:30 pm

Dear Bev, thank you. I so enjoyed working with the group you were part of-all 25 of them-that I am really excited (a term I do not often use) to be reestablishing at least this kind of contact with you.
      JGB

11. #19 by Terry Jackson on October 15, 2013 - 3:09 pm

We will really miss you – please stay well! You are a jewel. Terry

• #20 by John Boswell on October 18, 2013 - 3:15 pm

Thank you – I am missing you and your group too.
      JGB